In keeping with our commitment to keep you permanently informed of all the news about the race, we are getting back in touch with you from the organisation of the II Circuito Basque Ultra Trail Series.
In this case, however, the news is not good. We are forced to inform you that the Gasteiz-Iruñea race scheduled for 7/9 May 2021 will not be held.
Although the race is included in the official calendar of the Basque Federation and therefore had the status of “semi-professional” event according to the protocols established for competitive sport by the Basque Government, which initially implied the possibility of holding the event despite the existing restrictions, we have finally received notification from the Basque and Navarre Governments that this official status does not exclude us from the obligation to comply with the restrictions imposed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
As far as the test is concerned, these restrictions refer to two aspects fundamentally:
- Limitation of mobility at night: The race could not take place between 22:00 and 6:00.
- Limitation of mobility between Autonomous Communities: Runners from outside the Basque Autonomous Community could not enter it to take part in the race.
These limitations directly affect both the route and the people registered, and posed restrictions in both cases that radically altered the principles and philosophy of the Basque Ultra Trail Series Circuit.
Under these conditions, we preferred to suspend the Gasteiz-Iruñea on the dates originally planned rather than hold it by profoundly altering its distance or leaving out 60% of its participants, those coming from outside the Basque Autonomous Community.
We are aware of the disappointment and frustration that this decision may cause you. We assure you that the first to experience these feelings are the organisers of the race. Like you with your training and planning for the event, we have also spent months immersed in the preparations for an event that now, a month and a half before the event, we have been prevented from organising despite meeting the requirements initially demanded, including a demanding anti-vid safety protocol that guaranteed that the event would take place with all the health guarantees.
For all these reasons, we apologise for any inconvenience that this suspension may have caused you.
But like you with your desire to run in the mountains, the organisation of the BUTS Circuit does not cease in our determination to carry out a project in which we have put all our effort and time. To this end, we have analysed all the possible options and have decided to offer you the possibility of continuing to compete in the BUTS Circuit with a new calendar for the 3 races that remain to be held in this second edition of the Circuit, which are detailed below:
- Gasteiz-Iruñea…..: 23/25 July 2021
- Iruñea-Donostia…: 6/8 May 2022
- Donostia-Bilbao…: 7/9 October 2022
We will now explain in detail what these changes mean in terms of registration.
- Those of you who are registered for each of the races will automatically maintain your registration for each race on the new date.
- We also offer you the possibility of changing your registration from one race to another, both in the long distance (BUTS) and in the short distance (TXIKI) of each of them, or between both distances (in this case paying the difference in the registration fee, either in favour of the runner or the organisation).
- Finally, and in accordance with the commitment acquired in the event of a possible suspension or postponement of the races due to the pandemic, we maintain the option of refunding the registration fee (except for 5% for the platform management costs) to all runners who, for whatever reason, do not want to or cannot participate in the races on their new dates.
We reiterate our apologies for the inconvenience that these changes may cause you, totally beyond the control of the organisation and caused by the uncertainty and the continuous regulatory changes caused by the pandemic. We hope that you will continue to be part of the growing BUTS family. You and the volunteers are the soul of this project and we need you to continue making this beautiful dream of travelling and discovering Euskalherria by linking its four capitals and recalling the feat carried out by the mountaineer from Toulouse Sheve Peña back in 1953 a reality.
All these news will be communicated in the coming hours on social networks and on the BUTS Circuit website.
Of course, we remain at your disposal to solve any doubt or clarification.
Cheers and thank you very much.