Dear friends of the Basque Ultra Trail Series Circuit (BUTS),

We are finalising details for the celebration of our next BUTS Circuit event: the Gasteiz-Iruñea challenge. It will be a special race with novelties, but the important thing is that we can carry it out and be an example of the coexistence of outdoor sports and the health concerns we are living through.

These are difficult times for the organisation of events in general, and sporting events in particular. However, we believe that this situation is going to continue for a long time and we have to learn to live through it because life cannot be stopped. We will always be complying with the health measures that the authorities have in place at all times. For us, a modest club from Bilbao, forgoing organising races in 2021 would have been the most convenient. Avoiding the risk of having to work for a whole year with the possibility of not being able to execute them, but we are not giving up and we are here, giving our all, committed to you, the runners, so that you can continue to enjoy what you like most: running in the mountains.

We would like to update you on the situation in Basque Country and Navarre as we understand that you may have doubts and questions about this edition of the race.

As you may have seen in the last few weeks, both autonomous communities, through which the race runs, have shown notable improvements in terms of the accumulated incidence of positive cases of Covid-19. The pandemic is progressing in a very positive direction.

However, as a preventive measure, the Basque and Navarre governments have issued a state of Alarm until 10 May, with restrictions affecting several sectors, including our own. However, the forecasts are optimistic that the current measures will be eased in the two and a half months remaining until the date of the race, and that we will be able to hold the race on the scheduled dates (7-9 May), in compliance with the protocols required by the epidemiological situation at that time.

What are the next steps?

On 8 March we will send you another communiqué informing you of the new alert protocols in the Autonomous Communities of Basque Country and Navarre. For the time being, the following information is available in advance:

  • The exit from the red level of the cumulative incidence rate (less than 500 per 100,000 inhabitants) has already occured in Basque Country and Navarre. If this continues it would mean that the Gasteiz-Iruñea can be held on the planned dates, according to the current protocols of the state of Alarm. In this case, days before the race, we would send an email to all participants with the health protocols that would be carried out during the event.
  • In the event of a return to the red level, the organisation would call for an update of the alert level from the Basque and Navarrese governments in order to make a decision regarding holding the event. Provided that the alert level is lowered within a month of the race, the Gasteiz-Iruñea can be held under the new health protocols.
  • The organisers remain in constant contact with the authorities to hold the race and obtain the necessary permits. This is an important event for the municipalities through which the race passes due to the economic resources it provides, which are more necessary now than ever, given the difficult situation we are going through.
  • We understand the uncertainty felt by many of you who have put your hopes in the race and have been making a great effort to prepare for it for months. We share the same feelings but we are very optimistic about the race and we believe that trail running should remain as long as the relevant security measures are complied with.

From Trail 52 Sport Mendi Kluba we send you a big hug and we will remain in contact with you over the next few weeks to inform you of any new developments.